Requests to correct information in a certificate or a copy of an act

Anyone who thinks an error was made in an act may ask the registrar of civil status to correct it. Corrections may be requested for any information contained in the register of civil status.

A request for correction may be made by the person concerned by the error or by the person’s legal representative.

You must send us the document concerned without delay, making sure not to enter the corrections you want made directly on the document. Rather, enclose a letter explaining the error and the correction you want made, along with any supporting documents.

Your letter must contain the following information:

  • Description of the corrections you want made
  • Surname and given name
  • Home address (number, street, apartment)
  • City, town, village or municipality
  • Province
  • Postal code
  • Country
  • Phone number (home)
  • Phone number (home)
  • Email (optional)

We will review the information contained in the document concerned and, if we see that there is an error, we will make the necessary correction within the limits of the powers conferred on us by law. Otherwise, the document will be returned to you immediately.

Mail your request to the following address:

Gestion des retours
Directeur de l'état civil
2535, boulevard Laurier
Québec (Québec)  G1V 5C5

Other useful link

Top of page

Reviewed: 2022-06-01

Ministère de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale. This link open in a new window.

© Gouvernement du Québec, 2022

back to the main menu