Civil status

In order to get married or enter into a civil union in Québec, you must be free from any previous bond of marriage or civil union, which means you are single, divorced or widowed.

The law requires your officiant to verify your civil status before the solemnization. To do so, the officiant must ask you, as the case may be, for the original death certificate of your former spouse, or a certified true copy of your certificate of divorce or absolute decree of divorce.

Top of page

Reviewed: 2019-03-27

Ministère de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale. This link open in a new window.

© Gouvernement du Québec, 2022

back to the main menu