Request to correct a Declaration of Death

Any request for correction must be submitted in writing without delay to the Directeur de l'état civil, along with all the documents supporting your request for correction, as applicable.

We will examine the information submitted in the file concerned and, if an error is found, we will proceed with the correction within the limits of the powers vested in us by law.

If the death occurred recently

If the death occurred recently, the declarant of the death must contact the funeral service business that took charge of the body of the deceased. It is the funeral service business that will see to requesting the change from the Directeur de l'état civil, as applicable.

Top of page

Other useful links

Top of page

Reviewed: 2019-10-24

Ministère du Travail, de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale. This link open in a new window.

© Gouvernement du Québec, 2021

back to the main menu