Opposition to a marriage or civil union

Any person, including a minor, may oppose the solemnization of a marriage or civil union.

This could be the case, for example, if a given person believes that the consent of one of the intended spouses may not be free or enlightened, or if the intended spouses have a family relationship that prevents them from marrying or entering into a civil union under the law.

Opposition to a marriage or a civil union must be formally expressed by means of a judicial application filed with the court and served on the officiant, the Directeur de l’état civil and the intended spouses.

For more information, consult a legal advisor.

Top of page

Reviewed: 2019-03-27

Ministère de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale. This link open in a new window.

© Gouvernement du Québec, 2022

back to the main menu