Choosing an officiant

A marriage or civil union is a commitment that must be made before an officiant authorized by the Directeur de l’état civil.

The officiant may be:

  • a minister of religion;
  • a notary, clerk, deputy clerk, mayor or municipal officer;
  • a designated officiant, also known as a one-day officiant. It can be a loved one, for example, your father, sister or best friend.

This requirement applies to all marriages and civil unions solemnized in Québec, whether or not they are part of a religious ceremony.

The Directeur de l’état civil could refuse to enter your marriage or civil union in the register of civil status if it has not been solemnized by an authorized officiant. Thus, before choosing an officiant, you must contact that person to ensure that he or she holds a valid authorization (authorization number). You must also ensure that this authorization will still be in force on the day of the solemnization and is valid at the intended location for the ceremony.

For more information, consult the website of the ministère de la Justice This link opens a new window..

Top of page

Other useful link

Top of page

Reviewed: 2019-03-27

Site internet du gouvernement du Québec.

©Gouvernement du Québec, 2018

back to the main menu